This guide is designed to help our eBay sellers and other users on Ship&co to correctly utilize the HS code and product category features in our settings. This will ensure smooth customs clearance and accurate shipment handling.
What is the HS Code?
- Definition: Harmonized System (HS) Code is a standardized numerical method of classifying traded products. It is used globally to identify products and determine customs duties and taxes.
- Structure: A 6-digit number that classifies goods in international trade.
- Importance: Accurate HS codes are essential for correct customs clearance.
- Carrier Requirements: While carriers like DHL or FedEx may ask for detailed descriptions after an order has been shipped, this information does not need to be included in the HS code description field .
Best Practices for Entering HS Codes
- Use Accurate and Consistent Codes: Avoid using similar HS codes with different names.
950300 - Action Figure
950300 - Anime Figure
950300 - Toys and Figures
- Avoid Letters and Unnecessary Details: HS codes are numerical and should not contain letters and its description, should not contain specific details like brand names or reference numbers.
- Category vs. Product Name: Ensure that the category name reflects a broader classification, not specific product names.
Common Mistakes to Avoid
- Adding too much detail in the product category.
- Modifying the category to fit specific product names.
- Adding the item's specific size, variation, model number, etc in the product category.
- Using incorrect or inconsistent HS codes.